The man we all wish was alive!
On the birthday of Lizard King and King of Orgasmic Rock, Jim Morrison we bring to you interesting facts from his life without any beating around the bush!
1. Jim first met his father at the age of 2.
2. During a road trip in Mexico, when Jim was only 5, he saw a road accident the victims of which forever stayed in his mind. Jim wrote about the incident in the words of his songs, ‘Peace Frog’, and ‘The Ghost Song’. InfoSource
“Indians scattered on dawn’s highway bleeding”.
“Ghosts crowd the young child’s fragile egg-shell mind.”
3. Strangely, Jim also believed that one of the souls of the dying Indians had entered his body. Though his parents denied that the incident ever happened!
4. Jim’s family had hoped that Jim would join the US Navy just like his father.
5. Jim had completed Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre Arts Department of UCLA.
6. Jim made 2 films in college, ‘First Love’, and ‘Obscura’.
7. While Manzarek was lying on the beach at Venice, he met Jim and they quickly got together.
8. It’s believed that Jim’s band’s title was derived from the title of the book written by Aldous Huxley on the effects of drugs on human perception, ‘The Doors of Heaven and Hell’.
9. When Jim was invited to Ed Sullivan’s Show, he had agreed to change the lyrics of the song, ‘Light My Fire’ to not to talk about drugs on the show (CBS network censors demanded), but then he went ahead and sang the original lyrics! :)
10. The show’s host, Ed Sullivan, got furious and later refused to shake hands with the band.
‘The Doors‘ was never invited back! Jim’s entertaining response to this was- “Hey man! We just did The Sullivan Show!” InfoSource
12. In the late 60’s, Jim experimented with a wide range of hallucinogenic drugs like, LSD (acid) and that’s when he lost his thin Lizard King persona.
13. On 3rd July 1971, Jim was found dead in his bath tub by Pamela Courson. People had said that Jim seemed to be really depressed during that year.
14. The reason for his death is a mystery. Many sources state that he died of over dosage of heroin (check Wikipedia) and others say he died of heart failure. InfoSource
15. Jim’s grave in the famous Pere Lachaise cemetery, Paris is the most famous tourist destination.
Happy Birthday, Jim!
Note- Article revised for correct facts and resources! :)